Sunday, November 1, 2009

100 Photos Project--image #1


In 1970, when I was a senior in high school, I loved music and bought a used 1969 Martin D-18 guitar for a whopping $375. It was a very good guitar. In fact, I was a little embarrassed owning a guitar like that because it implied I could play as well as the Martin name indicated. Only a good guitar player would have a Martin, right? In truth I wasn't very good at all. The sad thing was, besides selling it in a fit of madness, I never took the time to really develop my playing to correspond with the inherent capabilities of a Martin. I never developed my technical skills, nor did I find my musical voice.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation now. I love photography, and, over time, I've purchased a bunch of world-class photography equipment. The difference between music and photography, however, is at least now I get some positive feedback from my pictures. That never happened with my guitar playing (let alone my singing). To avoid making the same mistake twice of not developing both my technique and artistic voice, I'm taking on a project:

Over the coming months, I'm going to FINISH 100 photographs. Finished means an image is printed on good paper, matted and ready for show or sale, and it is posted on my blog, along with a short writeup of some kind. So look forward to what's on the way. I do because I have no idea where this will lead.

Click HERE to see another site where you'll find my work for this 100 Photos Project all in one place.

Now for the description of this photo: The two girls were sitting on top of KSOP's remote trailer at Liberty Park during the Pioneer Day celebration in Salt Lake City. The young man hopped up to join them. I got the idea he didn't know the girls very well if at all, which is reflected in the body language of the girl in shorts sitting next to him. This is a visual image of a young buck on the move.You should be able to click on the photo to enlarge it.

No comments: